Monday, April 16, 2007

Exodus

The other day in class we had a discussion on book 5, Exodus. This section is basically about the different lives of the girls, Orleanna, and Nathan. After parting ways, the women find different things that they believe would "complete" their lives, or at least make it better. I don't really want to go too much into what happens to the characters because, one, that wasn't quite what we talked about in class and two, I must admit that I haven't finished that book yet.
In class we talked about how this book was written a little differently from the beginning of The Poisonwood Bible. In Exodus, the plot moves quicker. Instead of explaining what happens day by day, it skips from sections of their lives to sections of other character's lives. Some people thought that this was much better because it wasn't as slow and it was more fast paced. The also believed that because it didn't dwell on each character for too long, it was easier to read. To me, I believe that it was easier to read but I did miss how it described every little thing that went on in each character's mind. I missed how the flavor of the character's attitudes came out in their chapters. But now it was also good because it seemed like the story was going somewhere, but sometimes a little too fast.
More to come when i finish Exodus.

No comments: